Sunday, April 25, 2010

Alondra kelly

Alondra Kelly
My Story

By Eighth grade I started to like books, but I had never really read a lot before. I never really found it interesting. I never really tell anybody, but I have Dyslexia, so reading is hard for me. I’m not ashamed or anything, but…I had a lot of help when I was younger from my grandmother. She is a teacher. She spent a lot of time with me because she just wanted me to read- not to be inconvenienced in life.

My mom is very wise and reads a lot of books. My mom’s an avid reader. “Runs in families,” she says. When she was pregnant with me, she read over 100 books!
“I have this book, and I was thinking of you. They don’t have it at the Englewood library. The only way I could get it was by ordering it online.” I thought about her buying this book for me. She had to use her credit card. She must really want me to read it, I thought.

She gave me the book, and I took it and kept it in my closet. But I didn’t want to take the time to read it. It sat on top of my dresser in my closet for one month. One day I was dying of boredom. Not knowing what to do, staring at the top of my closet, I see the purple cover of the book. It attracts my eye, and I pick it up and start reading. I read the first 30 pages and ran into my mom’s room. “This book is so good!’ I screamed. I could barely put it down after I got started.

Ever since then, I have read a lot of books. Coldest Winter Ever is the book that got me started reading. I love when a book really moves me. I usually get the books from the library, but sometimes, they are so good, I have to own them. I have bought No Disrespect by Sister Souljah, Autobiography of Malcom X, and China Black by Keisha Irving.

If you want more recommendations, just ask me. I have lots more books to talk to you about. I even help the librarian at school and in town with their orders. I am a reader now.

No comments:

Post a Comment